International Sportsperson Visa Guidance (previously Tier 2 and Tier 5 Sportsperson)
Elite sportspersons and coaches can come to the UK under the International Sportsperson route of the Points Based System.
Applicants can enter the UK for up to three years initially. Applicants can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain once they have completed five years in this category (providing they meet the requirements for ILR).
The applicant must be able to demonstrate the following:
- they are an elite sportsperson or qualified coach, who is recognised by their sport’s governing body as being at the highest level of their profession internationally who will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport in the UK;
- their sport’s governing body is endorsing their application and they have a suitable sponsor (this may be a club for example) who has issued them a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS);
- they have sufficient funds to maintain themselves;
- they have a valid TB test certificate, if applying from a relevant country;
- they meet the required level of English language (currently A1 of the CEFR) if they are applying for leave for more than 12 months; and
- they do not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal.
The applicant can be accompanied by their dependants.
This route has replaced the previous Tier 2 Sportsperson and Tier 5 Sportsperson routes.
International Sportsperson Visa: How our immigration solicitors can help
The Home Office will carefully scrutinise an application for a sportsperson’s visa and if it considers that any of the requirements have not been met, the application will fall for refusal. It is therefore essential that the application is prepared thoroughly and carefully.
We are experienced in working with individuals, sports clubs/associations and endorsing bodies to ensure a successful outcome. We will provide expert guidance and assistance throughout the process.
If you require legal assistance or would just like to discuss your situation with one of our experts on a no-obligation basis, please contact us, or complete the enquiry form below.